- This event has passed.
Realizing a More Fair Global Food Supply Chain
October 11, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Join labor rights and food justice activists and farmworkers from Mexico, Morocco, Tunisia and the United States as we explore the centrality of agriculture workers to build more fair global food supply chains—and a comprehensive food justice movement. This daylong conference will highlight farmworkers’ experience and their worker rights activism as a foundation to envision and implement more dynamic, interconnected strategies to improve the way our food moves from field to dinner table.
Building Power in the Fields: Union activists from Mexico, Morocco and Washington state will share farmworker organizing strategies.
Strategy Session: Worker rights and sustainable food advocates will examine models of cooperation and strategies to strengthen agricultural workers through alliances across the food chain.
Strategy Session: Panelists will offer a global perspective on legal initiatives and strategies to support decent work and rights for workers in agriculture.
Closing: What’s next? Participants will explore the future of workers building power and voice in sustainable food chains while ensuring fairness and sustainability in agriculture supply chains.
- Saida Bentahar, Collective Bargaining Committee, Workers Democratic Federation (CDT, Morocco)
- Adrienne DerVartanian, Director of Immigration and Labor Rights, Farmworker Justice (Washington, DC)
- Clare Fox, Executive Director, Los Angeles Food Policy Council
- Rusty Hicks, President, Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO
- Mark Lauritsen, President, International Union of Food, Agricultural, Hotel, Restaurant, Catering, Tobacco and Allied Workers’ Associations (IUF, Washington, DC)
- Joann Lo, Co-Director, Food Chain Workers Alliance (Los Angeles, CA)
- Lorenzo Rodríguez Jiménez, General Secretary, National Independent and Democratic Union of Farmworkers (SINDJA, Mexico)
- Sami Tahri, Member-Executive Office, UGTT (Tunisian labor federation)
- Ramon Torres, President, Familias Unidas por la Justicia (Burlington, WA)
Reception to follow at UFCW Local 770
RSVP to email@example.com