A Survey of Nail Salon Workers and Owners in California During COVID-19
The devastating impacts of COVID-19 on the nail salon industry are highlighted in “A Survey of Nail Salon Workers and Owners in California During COVID-19,” a new report by the California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative and the UCLA Labor Center (a unit of the Institute for Research on Labor and Employment). Though the majority of owners and workers desire to return to work as soon as possible, they expressed significant concern over health and safety upon reopening. In fact, 70% of owners responded that they needed clear guidelines and financial support to be able to safely reopen and prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Among other findings, the report notes:
- Over 90% of workers applied for unemployment benefits, while almost half need support in applying for and obtaining such aid.
- Only 6% of owners were able to keep their workers on payroll.
- Both workers (61%) and owners (43%) are most worried about health and safety upon reopening.
- 70% of owners want clear guidelines on health and safety and 69% need additional funds to modify their salons
The report offers a set of recommendations to ensure that nail salons can be effectively supported to safely reopen without posing health risks to workers and the wider public:
- Provide comprehensive health and safety guidelines and tools for reopening.
- Issue a campaign to counter xenophobia, stereotyping, discrimination, and violence in nail salons.
- Develop strong workers protections in context of reopening and through the long term.
- Provide economic relief and financial support to aid in nail salon industry reopening.
The following general guidelines were created by the California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative, for nail salon staff and clients to take steps to protect themselves from diseases such as Coronavirus (COVID-19).Guidelines
LA Business Journal | At LA’s Nail Salons, Latest Lockdown Cuts to the Quick
The New Yorker | What Returning to Work Means in the Nail Salons of Orange County
Send media inquiries for this report to: email@example.com