Dream Summer Fellowship
Dream Summer is an annual national fellowship of the UCLA Labor Center’s Dream Resource Center (DRC). Through Dream Summer, the DRC has provided over 750 fellowship opportunities to immigrant youth and allies and has partnered with over 265 social justice organizations across the country. Dream Summer:
- Empowers immigrant youth and allies to be the next generation of social justice leaders through leadership and professional development, movement building, and on-the-ground experience in social justice organizations.
- Creates a safe and healing space for immigrant youth and allies to connect and build with one another.
- Promotes an intersectional, cross-racial, and intergenerational approach to social justice that addresses the needs of immigrant communities.
Fellows are placed within social justice-based host organizations and work closely with their host organization to incorporate and strengthen the role of immigrant rights issues alongside the organization’s social justice work. Over the summer, fellows engage and lead social justice efforts by aligning the call for immigrant rights alongside the unique challenges of queer and transgender communities; Asian and Pacific Islander communities; Black immigrant communities; the ongoing mass incarceration and criminalization of people of color; worker rights; COVID-19 relief efforts and post-COVID-19 economic recovery efforts; and health care access for all.
Dream Summer will happen virtually in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Staff will notify participants immediately of any changes.
Fellow Application Process
Dream Summer 2021 is open to both experienced social justice leaders and those who wish to begin or strengthen their involvement in social justice. Applicants do not have to be students to apply to the fellowship. Dream Summer fellows receive a $5,000 fellowship award, leadership and professional development training, and become part of a national alumni network of over 750 immigrant rights leaders. If you are interested in becoming a Dream Summer 2021 fellow, please review the linked Application Guide and FAQ’s document below. You can submit your application through the linked application portal below. The deadline for 2021 fellows to apply is Friday, February 26th at 12 PM (noon) PST.
- Dream Summer 2021 Fellow Application Portal (APPLY HERE!)
- Dream Summer 2021 Fellow Application Guide
- Dream Summer 2021 Fellow FAQ’s
For questions that are not addressed in the application guide or FAQ’s, please contact Dream Summer coordinators Mayra Castro and Leticia Bustamante at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Host Organization Application Process
For Dream Summer 2021, the DRC is seeking to partner with organizations that address issues intersecting with the experiences of immigrant youth including but not limited to: educational access; health; labor; mass incarceration and deportation; and the unique experiences of Asian and Pacific Islander, Black, Muslim, and LGBTQ+ undocumented communities. If you are interested in becoming a Dream Summer 2021 host organization, please review the linked Application Guide below. You can submit your application through the linked application portal below. The deadline for 2021 host organizations to apply is February 5, 2021 at 12 PM PST.
- Dream Summer 2021 Host Organization Application Portal (APPLY HERE!)
- Dream Summer 2021 Host Organization Application Guide
For questions that are not addressed in the application guide, please contact Dream Summer coordinators Mayra Castro and Leticia Bustamante at email@example.com.